Sunday, February 21, 2010

Predicting the Weather

I just finished up this illustration for the cover of the book, How to Predict the Weather by Aaron Burch (Keyhole Press). This shows the full illustration which I completed as an etching. I was also asked to send samples of hand-written fonts to complement the "look" of the image. I had never done this before, but it was kind of fun (although my real life handwriting is awful!)


Anyway, they ended up using one of my handwritten fonts for the cover and I was thrilled to receive an email last night showing me the final layout of the cover:



I am so excited about how this came out and I can't wait to see it in print with it's beautiful matte finish!

Keyhole recently became an imprint of Dzanc Books, and you can read more about this and other releases on their news website.

8 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

completely gorgeous. love how the branches bleed into the cloudy sky...and that type will look fab on matte. yum. nice work!

hobart said...

I feel so freaking lucky to have this be my book cover, Emily. Thanks, and thanks again!!

Christopher said...

Just saw the cover over on Emerging Writer's Network and commented on how awesome the title font was. Peter Cole linked me here and when I read it was hand drawn, mind blow happened. Great work on this cover, Emily.

Lauren Castillo said...

This is beautiful!! And I think the hand-type compliments the art perfectly :)

Erik said...

Great cover, has a very Goreyesque feel.

Anonymous said...

i love the handwritten font- came out lovely!

e.b. goodale said...

Wow. Thanks so much everyone!

Mlou said...

The font is fabulous. I didn't realize it was hand drawn! That little orange leaf just makes the author's name jump out too. Great work!