Friday, November 14, 2008

Cats go to Market

I recently picked up an old picture book called The Cats go to Market, by Joan Cass and illustrated by William Stobbs. I've pretty much been obsessed by the illustrations in this book since I first saw it in the store 6 months ago. I believe it is circa 1969, which falls right into my favorite era of picture books.


The color separation is to die for!!!


My favorite part of the whole book is this black cat, which bears a striking resemblance to Julia's cat, Serif.





fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads...

4 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

...flipping ouuuuuuut. these are so good. thanks for posting these! i don't remember seeing this book before?

but wait, i haven't had the chance to flip out over your last drawing! (which i laughed at loud at and wanted to call you immediately and just laugh and hang up - but it was like 7am)

his crazy little circle eyes and body shape are too much to handle.

Lauren Castillo said...

Wow, thanks for sharing, these are GREAT! My favorite children's books are also from the 50's-60's -- color separation was the best!

Axelphoto said...

wow those *are* great. what printmaking method is that? it looks like wood or lino?

very cool. thanks for posting these.

ps. there is a great exhibition here in NY that is right up your alley, and it's up until April, so you definitely have some time to check it out.

http://www.cooperhewitt.org/EXHIBITIONS/wallstories/

e.b. goodale said...

thanks Alex. That exhibition looks awesome. I will hopefully get down to NY before it's gone. I know I'll see tons of wallpaper that I would love to have in my house.